BYLAWS OF THE
SYLACAUGA HIGH SCHOOL BAND BOOSTER ORGANIZATION
Adopted April 17, 2007
The name of this organization shall be the SYLACAUGA HIGH SCHOOL BAND BOOSTER ORGANIZATION.
PURPOSE & GOALS
Section 1. The purpose of the Sylacauga High School Band Booster Organization is:
- To promote academic excellence through the support of academically oriented activities and enrichments directed by the Sylacauga High School’s Band Director(s) and the Sylacauga City Board of Education.
Section 2. The goals of this organization are:
- To assist the Band Director(s) in stimulating and promoting a quality marching band as well as a quality concert band.
- To promote adequate financing for the purpose of purchasing uniforms, instruments, and music.
- To assist the Band Director(s) in chaperoning football and concert trips as well as other school sanctioned trips.
- To assist the Band Director(s) in providing adequate concession workers for all home football games and any other school sanctioned function where concession workers might be needed.
- To assist the Band Director(s) in providing adequate and proper publicity for the band.
Section 1. All parents and guardians of students in the SHS Band shall be considered active members. Only active members as defined shall be entitled to hold office or vote on any matter before the organization.
Section 2. Any interested person or organization may become an associate member by providing financial or physical support to the band program. The associate member may have the floor to discuss any questions before the meeting but shall have no vote.
Section 3. Any graduate, former member of the SHS Band, or parents or guardians of a former member may become an Alumni member by providing financial or physical support to the band program.. The Alumni member may have the floor to discuss any questions before the meeting but shall have no vote.
OFFICERS & EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Section 1. The officers of the organization shall be a President, a Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
Section 2. The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, a Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer as well as the Principal, and the Band Director(s) of Sylacauga High School (or their designate), and the Immediate Past President, if a member.
Section 3. The Executive Committee shall have the authority to transact any necessary business between meetings of the organization.
Section 4. The Executive Committee shall recommend to the membership projects for the organization, and shall have supervision over the carrying out of these projects.
Section 5. Terms for officers and committees shall be for one year with exception of Treasurer who serves two years.
Section 6. No officer or committee chair may serve more than two consecutive years in the same position unless authorized by quorum of active members.
Section 7. Officer's vacancies occurring during the year shall be filled by normal election procedure, with the Executive Committee and active members being responsible for nomination.
Section 8. The Executive Committee shall meet monthly during the fiscal year. The Executive Committee will determine these dates for the upcoming year at the June meeting.
Section 9. Terms for the Officers Elect and Chairmen Elect shall be March through the May Annual Meeting. After the May Annual Meeting, they shall assume their official duties.
Section 10. Any Officer may be removed at any time, with or without cause, by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the entire Board at any Regular Meeting or at any Special Meeting called for that purpose.
Section 11. They shall approve all proposed fundraising projects.
Section 12. They shall present a report at the regular Band Booster meetings of any executive decisions made during the intervals between regular Band Booster meetings.
Section 13. They shall have the authority to approve any necessary expenditures up to Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) during the intervals between regular Band Booster meetings. When the welfare of the band is involved and there is not sufficient time to convene a regular meeting of the Band Booster Organization, the Executive Committee shall be empowered to make expenditures greater than Five Hundred Dollars $500.00. Any expenditures of this nature must be approved by at least two thirds of the members of the Executive Committee and such expenditures shall be justified to the Band Boaster Organization members at the next regular monthly meeting.
Section 14. A special meeting of the Executive Committee may be called by the President, the Band Director(s), or by a majority of the members of the Executive Committee.
Section 15. Under the guidance of the Treasurer, the Executive Committee shall prepare an annual budget in accordance with Article X, Section 2.
Section 1. The election of officers shall be as follows:
- There shall be a nominating committee consisting of five active members; two shall be appointed by the Executive Committee, three shall be nominated and elected by the Band Booster members at the regular February meeting with the President declaring one of these five as Chairman.
- The nominating committee shall present a slate of nominees at the regular March meeting.
- All officers shall be elected by secret ballot to serve a one-year term with the exception of the Treasurer who shall serve a two-year term.
- All officers are to be elected at the regular April meeting.
- All officers are to be installed at the regular May meeting. After the outgoing President has called the meeting to order and the minutes have been read and approved, the remainder of the May meeting shall be conducted by the newly elected officers. A majority vote of the active members present shall constitute a valid election.
VACANCY OF AN OFFICER’S POSITION
Section 1. If a vacancy should occur in any officer’s position this vacancy shall be filled by a secret ballot election at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Band Booster Organization, following a reasonable attempt to notify the active membership.
Section 2. The Executive Committee shall provide a nomination for any vacancy. However nominations shall also be accepted from the floor.
DUTIES OF ELECTED OFFICERS
Section 1. President:
- The President shall be a member of and serve on the Executive Committee of the Sylacauga High School Band Booster Organization.
- shall prepare the agenda and preside at all meetings of the organization.
- shall appoint all committees and serve as an Ex-Officio member of all committees.
- shall oversee the general operation of both concession stands and shall be responsible for periodic pickup of all monies taken in during the games.
- shall appoint chair and co-chairpersons to standing and special committees authorized under these Bylaws, except where committees are otherwise designated as responsibilities of elected officers.
Section 2. Vice President:
- The First Vice President shall be a member of and serve on the Executive Committee.
- shall preside at all meetings in the absence of the President.
- shall assume all duties as delegated by the President.
- shall serve as chairman of the Concession Stand Committee whose responsibility is to be sure the concession stands are stocked with the necessary foods and supplies at least one day prior to all home games and any other school sanctioned function during which the concession stands may be operated for the benefit of the Sylacauga High School Band Boosters Organization.
- shall be responsible for the general operation of both concession stands floating between the main and visitor side stands during the length of each band function, insuring that they are adequately and properly supplied with foods, drinks, etc.
Section 5. Secretary:
- the Secretary shall be a member of and serve on the Executive Committee of the Sylacauga High School Band Boosters Organization.
- shall attend all meetings of the Band Booster Organization.
- shall keep all records and minutes of all meetings of the Band Booster Organization.
- shall attend to all correspondence for the Band Booster Organization.
Section 6. Treasurer:
- the Treasurer shall be a member of and serve on the Executive Committee of the Sylacauga High School Band Booster Organization.
- shall receive all funds due the Band Boosters and promptly deliver them to the Sylacauga High School Bookkeeper or deposit them in accordance with the regulations of the School, the State Accreditation Association and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- shall keep an accurate record of all receipts and disbursements showing the income and expense for each fund raising project separately.
- shall secure adequate monies to provide “start up” cash prior to any activity requiring same.
- shall be responsible for the security of all Band Booster monies.
Section 7. Assistant Officers:
- The Board may appoint one or more Assistant Secretaries and one or more Assistant Treasurers.
- Each Assistant Secretary and each Assistant Treasurer shall hold office for such period as the Board may prescribe.
- Any Assistant Secretary may perform any of the duties or exercise any of the powers of the Secretary or otherwise as occasion may require in the administration of the business and affairs of the corporation, and any Assistant Treasurer may perform any of the duties or exercise any of the powers of the Treasurer at the request or in the absence or disability of the Treasurer or otherwise as occasion may require in the administration of the business and affairs of the organization.
- Each Assistant Secretary and each Assistant Treasurer shall perform such other duties and/or exercise such other powers, if any, as the Board shall prescribe.
- To establish the authority of an Assistant Secretary or an Assistant Treasurer to take any action on behalf of the corporation in place of the Secretary or the Treasurer, as the case may be, it shall not be necessary to furnish proof of any request by, or of the absence or disability of, the Secretary or Treasurer or any other Assistant Secretary or Assistant Treasurer, respectively.
Section 1. Concession Stand Operation Committee
- The Vice President shall serve as Chair and Chief Officer.
- responsible for the general operation of the concession stands at all home football games and any other school sanctioned function in which the concession stands may be operated to benefit the band.
- establishes the menu, orders the food, drinks and supplies, stocks the stands and clean and straighten after each game.
Section 2. Fund Raising Committee
- The Fund Raising Committee selects and presents for approval all projects concerning fundraising, dinners, car washes, etc. excluding concession stand operations.
- presents projects to the students, providing instruction for the project to the students.
Section 3. Volunteer Committee
- develops the schedule of each volunteer for the concession stand and delegates their work assignment.
- notifies volunteers of their date(s) to work at the concession stands and will contact the volunteer as a reminder at least (2) two weeks prior to their date to work.
- notifies parents of regular monthly meetings of the Band Booster Organization.
- In conjunction with the Publicity Committee will develop and maintain an e-mail listing of students, parents and members of the Sylacauga High School Band Booster Organization.
- responsible for providing the SHS Principals Office with a list of names of volunteers scheduled to work at each football game and/or any other school sanctioned function at least four to five (4-5) days prior to each function.
- provides volunteer list to Publicity Committee for inclusion on the web site.
Section 4. Chaperone Committee
- obtains chaperones for each band activity. Chaperones give out hat plumes, travel in the buses with the band to its destination, accompanies band students when it is necessary for a band student to leave the main body of the band, watches the band’s designated seating area in the stands during each half-time performance, sets up and provide band students with halftime drinks, etc. and checks the stands after each game for any band instruments, hats or personal items left behind by band students.
- provides the SHS Principals Office with a list of names of chaperones scheduled to work at each football game and/or any other school sanctioned function where chaperones shall be needed at least four to five (4-5) days prior to each function.
- recommends to the Trip Committee a list of preferred chaperones for trips outside of the normal school calendar.
- provides chaperone list to Publicity Committee for inclusion on the web site.
Section 5. Equipment Management Committee
- responsible, along with designated chaperones or other officers, for the loading and unloading of all band instruments, plume containers, water coolers, drinks, drum major stand, and any and all other items needed by the band at each band function.
- If a rental vehicle is leased they also arrange for pick up of the vehicle and bring it to the band room the day of travel and return it the following day to the leasing agency to ensure no additional charges are added.
Section 6. Publicity Committee
- obtains and transfers for placement in the Sylacauga High School Newspaper, the local city newspaper, and/or radio and TV stations, all information pertaining to the band regarding band projects, competitions, awards or any and all other general information concerning the band.
- will work toward development of a regular monthly newsletter to be sent not only to parents and students but also to businesses or other supporters who express interest. .
- shall update and maintain the web site (www.shsband.net).
- working in conjunction with the Volunteer Committee, will develop and maintain an email list of students, parents and members of the Sylacauga High School Band Booster Organization
Section 7. Trip Committee
- works with the band director(s) to establish an itinerary and budget including, but not limited to, transportation, lodging, meals, activities, and chaperones for out of town trips and events.
- works closely with the chaperone committee to establish a list of preferred chaperones.
Section 8. Uniform Committee
- shall be responsible for seeing that uniforms and concert attire are cleaned and maintained.
- shall see to it that, at a minimum, all Marching Band uniforms are cleaned three times per season and immediately following the final performance of the season and that concert uniforms are cleaned prior to the end of the school year.
- shall present an up-to-date status of all uniforms and their needs at each monthly Executive Board and general membership meeting.
- At least one member of the Uniform Committee shall attend all performances.
Section 9. Band Front (Color Guard & Majorette) Committee
- shall serve at the request of the Band Front Sponsor.
- shall work with the Band Front Sponsor making procurement of all flags and uniforms to be used by the Color Guard and Majorettes.
- responsible for the upkeep of all Guard equipment and uniforms, will ensure the correct number of flags rifles, backdrops and uniforms are taken on each trip, and will crew assignments for prop setup and removal for each show.
Other Committees & Additional Duties
Section 1. Other committees shall be appointed by the President and elected officers as required.
Section 2. Other duties may be assigned to each Standing Committee or newly appointed committee by the President and elected officers as required.
Section 1. Meetings shall be held on the 3rd Tuesday night of each month in the Sylacauga High School band room. The specific meeting time shall be determined at the general meeting in May by officers present.
Section 2. Other special meetings of the Band Booster Organization may be called by the President of the Band Boosters or by the Band Director(s) or by a vote of 20% of all active membership.
Section 3. Active members present at a meeting shall constitute a quorum.
Section 1. Fiscal Year:
- The fiscal year will begin June 1 and end May 31
Section 2. Budget
- The Treasurer shall prepare an annual budget with monthly projections. The annual budget will be prepared with the assistance of the Band Director and Executive Committee and approved by the membership at the meeting in August.
- Copies of the annual report of the prior year's income and expenses prepared by the Treasurer shall be available to the membership at the August membership business meeting.
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the Sylacauga High School Band Booster Organization in all cases in which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and any special rules that the Band Booster Organization shall adopt.
Robert’s Rules of Order contain the essential parliamentary procedures necessary to handle this organization’s business as democratically and efficiently as possible.
AMENDMENTS TO BYLAWS
These Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the active members present at any regular meeting. The amendment request must be presented in writing at a meeting of the Band Booster Organization. Amended bylaws are then presented and voted on at the next meeting after said bylaws are posted publicly for active members to view.